Monday, July 19, 2010

Xbox Indie Games Review - Lethal Judgement

As a developer myself I'll probably be a little harsher on this review than most. A few criticisms first.

1) I have a pretty old controller and my joysticks don't always revert to 0,0 (no movement) so there were plenty of times that my ship would automatically float to the back of the screen while I was paying attention to other things happening. Developers usually give a 'leeway' that prevents this from happening but that wasn't present here.

2) Title safe problems. By this I mean that some stuff is cutoff by the edges of the screen (like the life bar and boss health bar in this game) and you're actually able to fly off the edge of the screen on the left hand side. I thought this was a pretty big issue because plenty of times I was forced back from lots of enemies or bullets and then my ship disappeared and sometimes I would hit enemies that were also off screen. A big no-no in my books.

3) WAY too much going on. Sometimes there would be rocks falling from the ceiling that look like you have to dodge them but they're just there to look pretty. They're very distracting because my first reaction is to dodge them then I get shot by something that does actually hurt me. I know plenty of shooters do this next one but it seemed too distracting/slow in this game. Some enemies fly on screen (from left to right) and they start big and gradually get smaller. You can't shoot them and they can't hurt you until they reach the right side of the screen but again, I thought they were going to hit me so I stayed away. They also cover the smaller enemies up so I'm thinking 'hey they don't hurt me so I can fly through them' but then I hit a smaller enemy that is hidden by them. Maybe if these flew in faster it wouldn't be as big of a distraction.

Now onto some actual gameplay. It's your basic side scrolling shooter with little guys that are in masses but easy to kill and eventually large boss fights. You get an occasional powerup that adds more bullets to your shots and even lets you shoot fireballs. You also have the ability to activate a 'laser shield' of sorts that kills anything it comes into contact with for a short period of time. It's a decently fun game and if there were less distractions I would definitely recommend it. A few things stop me from recommending it at the 240MSP ($3) range because it does give you a score at the end but it's never saved. A shooter that gives you points while playing through and doesn't save them to a local or global leaderboard when you eventually die is a bad no-no. If you have some time to burn, are a fan of shooters and just want something to fill some free time (with no record breaking attempts) then you'll probably enjoy it.

Rating - 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment